Think Twice Before You Apply That Lipstick....




“Every day thousands of women buy makeup & thousands of Indian children are forced to mine mica, the sparkles in the makeup.” (slaveryfootprint.org)

Does this fact shock you? It sure took me aback as I sat there in the comfort and freedom of my home ironically wearing sparkly eye shadow as I read this information. I immediately wanted to run to the bathroom and wash all the make up off of my face.

I knew I couldn’t just read this fact, forget about it and continue on my merry little way. So I immediately started researching this issue.

Have you ever heard of Mica? Well let me tell you about this tiny little mineral that affects thousands of children’s lives a day. It’s the sparkle in your favorite make up that children spend hours beating out of a stone.

Mica- is a transparent mineral that is mined from the earth in thin sheets, and it is often opalescent and sparkling, but can also be completely matte, and ranges in color from gray to blue to green (foriegnpolicyblogs).

One of the biggest uses for Mica is in cosmetics, such as eyeshadow, nail polish, lipstick, and concealer.

The impoverished hills of Jharkhand India, possesses one of the largest deposits of mica, and this is where children are exploited and forced to work in hard dangerous situations.

So now that you know this, what are you going to do about it? I began my quest for finding ethically made cosmetic products. And as I was searching and researching for ethically made make up without mica in it, I found out that it was a lot harder than I had thought.

However, what shocked and bothered me the most, was that during my research I found pages and pages of “ethically” and “cruelty free” cosmetic companies.  This is what these companies meant by this—that their products were not tested on animals and did not use any ingredients that were derived from animals or harmful chemicals. Here’s an example of this from the company that I found:


 
Here’s what bothers me the most: Since when are the lives and wellbeing of animals more important than that of a child? Why is the cosmetic industry more aware of and concerned with never using animal testing, but yet they don’t mind profiting off of the child slavery and exploitation that is going on across the world?


So maybe you should think twice before you apply that lipstick as you walk out the door? Because it should not take the sparkles on the hands of these children to make the rest of us in the world shimmer and shine.


For those of you who are interested in ethically made cosmetic, I am still researching different companies, but here are a few that I have found so far.

-The Body Shop

- Epic Mineral Beauty

Stay tuned as I learn more about ethically and fairly made cosmetic products.
Powered by Blogger.

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

.

Pages