Under Attack Again


Under attack again, such is life 
in a broken world where sin still lives 
under attack again why was I surprised?
Why did I give way to anger, 
fear, discouragement, vengeance
questioning the one thing that is sure, safe 
constant, reliable?

You have promised to keep me, protect me,
nurture me, to love me and defend me.
I have hidden in the shelter of your wing. 
I have had your peace put me to sleep.
I have had your presence comfort my heart 
I have had your spirit give me new strength 

Yet somehow when under attack again
I forget you and in forgetting I did what I regret 
and said what gives me grief.
I even questioned you.
The enemies I face are too great 
The brokeness around me is too pervasive
The sin inside of me too hard to escape 
So I have come home again, 
home to this one thing I daily need.

In moments mundane and great 
the rescue that can be found only in you.
I know that in the face of your wisdom, your control
your power, your righteousness 
the enemies of my soul will stumble, will fall, will crumble
In defeat.

When evil comes and it will
I will remember you, run to you 
believe in you, rest in you and with hands that are clean
and a heart that is pure I will fight evil
not with words of evil or actions of vengence 
but with the one thing the enemy cannot defeat-- worship of YOU. 


(inspired & adapted by shelter in the storm)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

.

Pages